Student Union (SUBHC)
Blake Hall College is proud to have a democratically elected Student Union that is a member of National Union of Students (NUS). They represent the voice of all students and participate in the strategic decision making of the College. When students want to express their opinions independently from the college management, they have access to the Student Union who represents them in all college matters.
There are 4 Union officers who each have a particular area of responsibility.
The Union President and Academics Officer deal with any issues arising from academic courses, hold weekly meetings with academic staff and sit on various panels and boards.
The Administration and Finance Officer is responsible for managing the Student Union budget and liaising with the college Administration department to ensure that student requests are processed in a timely manner.
The Communications Officer produces monthly college newsletters, updates the Student Union website and is responsible for internal and external relationships.
Finally the Activities and Sports Officer organises many social, cultural and sporting events throughout the year in which all students are encouraged to participate.
Elections are held annually and all students are encouraged to actively take part by nominating themselves for positions, joining a campaign team and voting for their selected candidates.
The Student Union at Blake Hall College endeavours to ensure that students take full advantage of the wealth of opportunities that are made available to them. They assist with the enhancement of student life and provide support for students over a wide range of areas. SUBHC helps to provide a friendly atmosphere for incoming international students and they promote their clubs and societies to the best of their ability. Most of all the Student Union wants to help all students to have a fun, enjoyable and successful experience at Blake Hall College.
Some of the responsibilities of the Student Union include:
• Issuing letters for students and liaising with the Administration Department to ensure all details on letters are correct
• Providing the marketing department with Student Union volunteers to help them with ad hoc promotions and taster events
• Assisting all staff with Induction Weeks by helping them with campus tours, presentations and Induction social events
How do the Students' Union Elections work?
• Nomination forms and job descriptions are available from the Students' Union Office, at Reception and online 30 working days before the election.
• Nomination forms must reach the Returning Officer by the day and time specified
• A list of candidates will be displayed on the College premises and on the Blake Hall College website and Student Union website (www.subhc.com
• Candidates are given three weeks to campaign. Candidates are provided with an election booklet explaining the election process and campaigning.
• All students in the College may vote. Voting is open for one week and is conducted by a secret ballot.
• The election results are announced and published in the afternoon on the final day of voting.
How to contact the student union?
• Visit the Student Union office on the Blake Hall College Campus
• Register your details with the Student Union Officer on duty
• The student union will stay in touch via emails or text messages